Why Remote Controls Aren’t Suitable for Babies

image credit: nathaniel stern

There’s probably a hidden danger in your home that you don’t realize: lithium button batteries. I was shocked to find out just how many kids had swallowed these “button batteries”. In 2010 alone it was more than 3,400 children.

Button batteries are especially dangerous because the severe burning of the esophagus can occur after only 2 hours, and can last even after the battery is removed. Sometimes parents do not even realize what has happened since the child can still talk and breathe after ingesting. This video from the Safe Kids USA shows the shocking dangers of many gadgets we use every day.

Protect Your Child From Swallowing Lithium Batteries

Safe Kids USA offers the following tips:

  1. SEARCH your home, and any place your child goes, for gadgets that may contain coin lithium batteries.
  2. SECURE coin lithium battery-controlled devices out of sight and reach of children and keep loose batteries locked away.
  3. SHARE this life-saving information with caregivers, friends, family members and sitters.

In Case of Emergency

Keeping these batteries out of reach and secured in devices is key, but if a child swallows a battery, parents and caregivers should follow these steps:

  • Go to the emergency room immediately. Tell doctors and nurses that your child may have swallowed a battery. If possible, provide the medical team with the identification number found on the battery’s package.
  • Do not let the child eat or drink until a chest x-ray can determine if a battery is present.
  • Do not induce vomiting.
  • Call the National Battery Ingestion Hotline at 202-625-3333 for additional treatment information.

For more information on lithium button batteries, visit The Battery Controlled Campaign’s website.

Share this video and tips with friends and family who have children or may watch your children. It could help save a child from a life-threatening accident.

Erica Surman, RN, BSN, Pediatric Trauma Program Manager


7 Responses to “Why Remote Controls Aren’t Suitable for Babies”


  1. 1 Anonymous February 2, 2012 at 9:06 am

    Wow! What a truly life-saving post! Thank you, Erica!

  2. 2 Erica Surman February 9, 2012 at 10:11 am

    Here is a real life story from a family of a 12 month old boy: http://www.emmettsfight.com/

  3. 3 baby February 24, 2015 at 2:29 pm

    I’ve learn a few good stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting.

    I wonder how a lot effort you set to create any such wonderful informative
    site.


  1. 1 Five potential diaper bag dangers « The Beaumont Blog Trackback on October 8, 2012 at 11:07 am
  2. 2 Making Your Bedroom and Nursery Safe « Beaumont Parenting Program Trackback on December 29, 2012 at 11:04 am
  3. 3 An Empty Toilet Paper Roll Could Reduce Your Child’s Risk of Choking | Beaumont Parenting Program Trackback on November 19, 2013 at 11:36 am
  4. 4 Five potential diaper bag dangers | The Beaumont Blog Trackback on August 21, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




Topics

Enter your email address and you'll receive notifications of new posts in your in-box.

Join 2,653 other followers

Free Developmental Screening

Confidential online developmental screening for children up to age 5

Awards


%d bloggers like this: