A rainy Friday morning with overripe bananas and kids running around the house led to the best vegan banana bread creation and kitchen memories for a long time coming. Both kids enjoyed mushing their bananas in their bowls and dumping in their dry ingredients. It was also a great lesson in math for my five year old who thrives on asking us math questions all day long. The bread turned out fantastic and the kids were so proud of their creation. I am looking forward to them cooking me breakfast in bed, when they get older!
1/3 cup of sugar
1/3 cup of brown sugar
1/3 cup coconut oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1.5 cup mashed ripe bananas
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening for about 5 minutes (mixture does not get smooth).
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with bananas, beating after each addition. (The batter will be thick.)
- Spoon into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pan. Sprinkle some brown sugar on top of the mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until bread tests done with a toothpick.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
—Kim Fletcher, Parenting Program Volunteer