This is the first in a series of back-to-school posts to help you and your little ones prepare for the annual September routine.
Advertisements for school supplies have been running for a least a few weeks already. Hence, your kids have probably been coveting their next new backpack. Will it be one of the popular superheros, Hello Kitty or neon?
Whichever you choose, here are some things to make sure your little superhero stays safe when wearing his backpack:
- When choosing a backpack, look for one with padded straps and backing.
- It is also important to make sure there are reflective patches or material to increased visibility during dark mornings.
- When packing the bag, distribute contents of the backpack evenly.
- When carrying the bag, use both shoulder straps.
- Make sure that the weight of the backpack does not exceed 20% of your child’s own body weight.
- Never have the child’s name on the outside of the backpack. Strangers could use that information to trick the child into believing that they know them.
— Erica Surman, RN, BSN, Pediatric Trauma Program Manager, Beaumont Health System