Confession: I’m not “crafty.” I can’t crank out beautifully handmade Christmas cards, or “ooh” and “ahhh” over my kids’ scrapbook. But Pinterest has a strange power over me. I look at it and think, “I can bake a three-tiered, Mickey Mouse-themed birthday cake.”
Still, I keep trying projects on Pinterest, hoping that one day something will work.
A Few of My Greatest Hits
- The hidden objects bottle was awesome for a long car trip. I used orange juice bottles, which in hindsight were a bit too heavy, and put all kinds of objects in it to find. The kids loved it.
- My husband made the PVC car wash sprinkler out of scraps in the garage. He felt very manly. This toy soaks the grass, so make sure you move it around frequently.
- This one has nothing to do with kids, but I’m telling you — it turns out perfect every time and it’s easy. Make this bread once, and it’ll be your signature dish forever.
- Then there was my home organization kick. My kitchen cabinets were driving me nuts so I reorganized them. Why didn’t I think to store water bottles on their sides, instead of standing them up so I have to knock them over and catch them before they hit someone, or make a loud noise that wakes the kids? It’s brilliant!
- I also loved hanging the scissors on the inside of a high cabinet. Note: I tried this with a small nail first, but the scissors kept flying out of the cabinet when the door opened, which freaked out a few people (including my unsuspecting husband). So, I bought some small screw-in hooks. Worked like a charm.
Some of My Pinterest Fails
- I saw this system of tunnels and thought it was a great way to use empty diaper and wipes boxes. So I carved out tunnels to drive cars through. Unfortunately, the kids didn’t actually use the tunnels for what they were intended. Nope. Instead, they pretended the boxes were cars and flipped them over and sat in them. And, no. I didn’t get all fancy with my tape.
- Let’s not forget the water blob. The kids were only “eh” about this one. So, yeah, it was more trouble than it was worth and I ended up looking like a Smurf because of a blue food-coloring backfire. Also, the instructions said I’d be done ironing by the time the Doc McStuffins “I Feel Better” song was over. Not so. I watched two episodes of Downton Abbey.
What are your Pinterest wins/fails? C’mon! We’ll always applaud the effort.
– Rebecca Calappi, Publications Coordinator at Beaumont Health System and adoptive parent of multiples