This year my family and I sat down and came up with goals/resolutions. I love to read. It brings me so much enjoyment but when I get busy, it’s the first thing I put on the back burner. So I made the resolution to read a book a month.
Then I started thinking about making a list of chapter books my girls would like to read (or classics I would like to read to them) with us this year. If we list them and post the list on the fridge, we’re more inclined to use this visual as a reminder and follow through!
Here are some of my all-time favorite chapter books for children ages 3 – 7. My 3 year-old is just starting to sit through longer books so I think one chapter per night is all we’ll do.
Remember it’s important to think aloud, ask questions, and retell what’s happening in the story. Encourage your children to do the same in order to increase their reading comprehension. Get conversations going about your books and it’ll not only be a family moment but a learning one too!
- Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
- Stuart Little by E.B. White
- The Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary
- How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell
- James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
- Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
- The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White
- My Father’s Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannet (This three book series is great for preschoolers. It could be a great way to introduce reading chapter books aloud to your children.)
- Any Cam Jansen book by David Adler
- The Littles by John Peterson
– Maria Dismondy, mother of three, reading specialist, fitness instructor and bestselling children’s author living in Southeast Michigan