Offered by the Beaumont Children’s Hospital Center for Childhood Speech and Language Disorders, Lil’ Sprouts is a 10-week course designed for parents/caregivers with their children. The goal of this program is to teach parents/caregivers how to increase speech and language within their home environment. Children enrolled may be developing at a normal/average rate or may be delayed in speech and language development. Children are between the ages of 18 months and 2½ years. Due to limited space, we request that siblings do not attend the Lil’ Sprout sessions.
- We meet for 10 consecutive Tuesdays from 5:00 – 5:50 p.m.
- The first 25 minutes of each session: We discuss our topic and teach you and your child how to complete a task related to our topic.
- The next 10 minutes are spent at a table for a snack. During snack time, the clinician will help the children use word approximations, sign language, or simple words to request for food.
- The final 10 minutes: We do a circle time activity and sing a song related to our weekly topic.
Each week your family is given a handout with home program ideas and ways for you to increase your child’s speech and language development at home. Please feel free to interact with other families in the group. This is a time to find out what works for other families and try ideas out on your own!
Summer Term Schedule
- Week 1: First Day! Speech and Sound Development and Sign Language
- Week 2: The Development of Receptive Language Skills (Part 1 of 2)
- Week 3: The Development of Receptive Language Skills (Part 2 of 2)
- Week 4: The Development of Expressive Language Skills (Part 1 of 2)
- Week 5: The Development of Expressive Language Skills (Part 2 of 2)
- Week 6: The Interaction of Play Skills and Communication
- Week 7: The Interaction of Sensory Skills and Communication
- Week 8: The Interaction of Oral Motor Skills and Communication
- Week 9: Idea and Toy Exchange
- Week 10: Last Day! Wrap Up and Review and Recommendations
- The summer term runs June 16 – Aug. 18, 2015.
- Sessions will be held at the Beaumont Health Center in Royal Oak and the Beaumont Medical Office Building in West Bloomfield. Please contact one of the locations if youare interested in enrolling for the summer term.
- Royal Oak: (248) 655-5975
- West Bloomfield: (248) 855-4480
- We will be taking payments during the first class. If you need to set up a payment plan, we will do so during the first visit. There are no refunds for this group program.