The new year is the perfect time to think about making positive changes in your home. Family life is busy and the idea of doing more can sound overwhelming. I’m here, as a parent and former educator, to share a list of simple things you can do in your home this year to make a positive impact.
Choose three of the suggestions from this list and jot them down in your calendar, on a sticky note, or set a reminder on your phone once or twice a week to remind you on what you have committed to. Better yet, tell your children about this goal, they never seem to forget a thing! Remember accountability is key to creating new habits.
- Read books before bed. You can view some book ideas here.
- Have a dance party in the kitchen
- Pick a night of the week to play board games or puzzles after dinner
- Start a family journal and take turns writing in it
- Create a 2016 time capsule. During the year, add special memories into this capsule and look at it on January 1, 2017.
- Designate a space for all school work to go throughout the week. Sit down on the weekend and look over your children’s work. Ask them questions and make meaningful comments.
- Take time to make a video and remember the special moments in your life. Check out the free app One Day to help you get started.
- Cook dinner together
- Writes letters to relatives for their birthdays or just because
- Look at old photos together
- Include your children in your trip to the grocery store. Give them a list of items they are in charge of finding each week
- Sit down and play with your child
Empowering Kids with Character. A few months ago I started a private Facebook group for parents and teachers to inspire each other with simple ways they can make a positive impact in the lives of the children they are raising or teaching. We would love for you to join us!
– Maria Dismondy is a mother of three, reading specialist, fitness instructor and bestselling children’s author living in Southeast Michigan.