Strawberry season is here! These little cheese and berry treats are the perfect spring dessert.
- 2 pints ripe strawberries (approximately 45 medium strawberries)
- 8 oz. Neufchatel cheese or reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 Tbsp. fat-free half and half
- 3 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla
- Wash berries and dry thoroughly.
- Hull berries so that the entire stem and center are removed.
- Cut a thin sliver from the bottom of the berries so they stand upright.
- Mix all ingredients (except berries) together until smooth.
- Pipe the cream cheese mixture into the center of the strawberries.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Makes 9 servings (Serving size is 5 filled strawberries.) Each serving is 1 fruit.
Nutrition analysis per serving
- Calories: 100
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 15 mg
- Sodium: 75 mg
- Carbohydrate: 12 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Sugars: 8 g
- Protein: 3 g
Recipe adapted from The All New All Purpose Joy of Cooking 1997.
– Mary Ligotti-Hitch, R.D., a registered dietitian with the Beaumont Health Center’s Weight Control Center. Did you know the Beaumont Weight Control Center offers cooking classes for kids? Learn more about these free sessions for kids age 6 and up.