Breakfast is named such because you “break the fast” after a good night’s sleep. Eating within an hour of rising kick starts your metabolism, replenishes your body’s supply of glucose, and helps keep your energy levels up throughout the day.
Did you know that regularly eating a healthy breakfast may also help you lose excess weight and maintain your weight loss? When you skip breakfast, you may be more tempted to reach for a quick fix like doughnuts or Pop-Tarts; you’ll end up feeling hungry much sooner when choosing high sugar, processed foods, and that can lead to overeating throughout the day. If you start your day out with something healthy, you’re more likely to make healthy choices over the course of your day. The prolonged fasting that occurs when you skip breakfast can also increase your body’s insulin response, which can increase fat storage and lead to weight gain.
As you can see, breakfast is very important for our health and well-being!
Start the day out right with this autumn-inspired Swiss Oats with Apples and Walnuts recipe. The fiber from the oats and apples paired with the monounsaturated fat from the walnuts will help you feel fuller longer, which helps to maintain a healthy weight to lower your risk of diabetes and heart disease.
- 1 ½ cups dry oats (quick-cooking or old fashioned)
- 1 ¼ cups skim or plain soy milk
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 3 cups chopped apples
- ¼ cups chopped walnuts
- The night before; stir together oats, milk, honey and cinnamon in a large bowl. Allow to soak in the refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, add the apples and walnuts.
- Gently mix together and serve.
Makes 4 servings (Serving size equals ¾ cup.)
– Kayleigh Delaney is a Beaumont Dietetic intern with the Beaumont Health Center’s Weight Control Center. Learn more about the Weight Control Center.”