- ¼ cup brown sugar (not packed)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons light whipped butter or light buttery spread, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons fat-free liquid egg substitute (e.g., Egg Beaters® Original)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- ½ ounce (about 2 tablespoons) chopped macadamia nuts or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, thoroughly whisk brown sugar, sugar, butter, applesauce, egg substitute and vanilla extract.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt. Stir until smooth.
- Fold in oats and chopped chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter onto the baking sheet in six evenly spaced mounds. Use the back of a spoon to spread and flatten batter into 3-inch circles. Top with chopped nuts, and lightly pat to adhere.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a softie comes out clean, about 10 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.
(Serving size equals 1 softie. Each serving counts as 1 starch serving.)
Nutrition analysis per serving
- Calories: 140
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 5 mg
- Sodium: 110 mg
- Carbohydrate: 21 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Sugars: 11 g
- Protein: 3 g
Recipe adapted from hungry-girl.com.
– Mary Ligotti-Hitch, R.D. is a registered dietitian with the Weight Control Center at Beaumont Health Center. Learn more about the Weight Control Center